Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Brittany Battista's Opinion: South Carolina GOP Debate


Many of the questions asked early in the debate were not high priority topics in my book. They were clearly set for the particular South Carolina audience. I would set three or four key issues that America faces and give a detailed plan of how current plans can be changed, improved or accomplished. I would keep other issues to the side, abortion as one example, all while stating that they are important, but many other changes are needed as well.

As a voter, I find it interesting how Romney adds in how long he’s been married for to sway the voters by pointing out their values. “Only US vet on stage tonight,” was said by Ron Paul purposely. I think Gingrich freaking out and personally attacking CNN’s John King for opening a debate with that question was taking it too far too soon. I agree it shouldn’t have been the first question he asked. I believe Americans will tend to vote for someone who has the same values as their own. Therefore I think it should be a topic that needs to be discussed but not the first question.

I also do not agree with blaming the media for negativity towards them. In a perfect world and if they didn’t react in a negative way to things there would not be any bad press. Charging the media with twisting their words and actions, which I know happens, is a safe loophole that they are using. Within the first 15 minutes there was nothing asked that I really would have liked to hear about. The candidates were asked one question about jobs before they were asked about Romney’s faults as the CEO of a company. They need to be asked the important issues first like jobs, education, healthcare and immigration. Other issues are not as important and they shouldn’t waste their time by answering.

I also do not believe that the Republicans should waste so much energy attacking their opponents and Obama. If they are asked a direct question about their opponents’ faults they can be addresses. Other than that, so many negative remarks give that candidate a negative connotation in my opinion. I would be less likely to vote for them the more they attack others and not building themselves up instead. They only shoot each other in the foot to set themselves apart instead of getting in depth with their own beliefs.

I’m being extremely overdramatic but it appears that every time Romney spoke, he had something to say about Obama. It’s getting very tiresome to hear. I do find that these men have incredible self-control. They bash one another when they are a few feet away from them. No wonder they attack one another, to relieve their stress from previously being publically attacked. It’s amazing to just watch their faces.

The vast majority of the debate was Romney, Santorum and Gingrich with Paul only adding in occasionally. I do not think Ron Paul will be nominated. Even as president he would get eaten alive and walked all over by more aggressive people in the government. Sometimes it’s difficult for me to watch him because I just think of how awkward it would be to see my sweet grandfather verbally attacking someone. I see him as the next one to drop out. Romney and Gingrich will be the last two standing.


Brittany Battista
Communication Studies
Wilkes 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment